The Perth East Public Library was built in 1909 with the suggestion by Reeve Conrad Hasenpflug who placed before council the suggestion of applying to the Carnegie Library Foundation for a grant to build a library. They were successful in obtaining $7,000 for the building and $500 for furnishings.
Those among the first administrative body were President, James Torrance, Vice President, G. E. Goodhand, Secretary, Malcom MacBeth, and Treasurer, Arthur Reddaway. The appointed librarian at the time was Fred W. Guenther.
The library was originally kept up by public subscription but after a few years was added to the tax rate. In 1897, the council took over and a board of management was appointed.
The building opened on June, 10, 1910 and underwent a complete renovation in the 1950's which was undertaken by the Library Board. The Library officially reopened on September 29, 1954. The basement meeting room was Council Chambers until Council moved to its current location in the Old Municipal Building (now the New Municipal Building).
In the spring of 2006, the Perth East Public Library was pleased to receive $25,000 from the Ontario Trillium Foundation to assist with renovations to the lower level of the library. The donations allowed the downstairs rooms to be painted, carpeted, and furnished for ongoing use as a childrens library. The childrens library officially opened on October 21, 2006.
In 2010, the Township of Perth East received infrastructure Stimulus funding from the federal and provincial governments to build a new, fully accessible library at its current location of 19 Mill Street East in Milverton. The $1.2 million construction process provided almost double the space of the old library at 27 Main Street South and included a separate room from programming. The Main Street location was sold to a private individual.
The library is stocked with a variety of materials for every age. Main operating funds come from the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport, and the Township of Perth East.